Saturday, September 29, 2007

Clarification

Clarification

After a wonderful chat with my roommate, I realize that I need to clarify a few things, especially for fellow believers in the way. Mainly it's the idea that I am more politically minded than heavenly minded.

It is because of my faith that I am against genocide. It is because of my faith that I believe in helping the downtrodden. It is because of my faith that I have all the passions that I have. Without my faith, all the passions of this world, all the areas that my heart bleeds to help, are but chaff, if it were not for my Lord Jesus Christ.

If the evangelical church in this country truly believed the gospel of Christ, I would be an activist through those organizations. Most people who claim that Jesus is theirs, that claim identity in Christ are not of his, but wicked goats.

James 1:27 Religion that is pure and undefiled before God, the Father, is this: to visit orphans and widows in their affliction, and to keep oneself unstained from the world.

I do walk around with a cloak of stealth many times, and it serves a two-fold purpose:

1 All of us form quick judgments about people and have pre-conceived notions. It is then the job of the other person to breakdown these notions if they really want to have a relationship with the other. This being said, if the first thing I lead off with when introducing myself to someone is that I'm a "Christian" I automatically lost the ability to share with them anything at all, but if I show a common interest in some activism, which I do truly believe in, then through showing that passion I can witness to them, and at least breakdown the barrier idea that "All Christians areā€¦.." I have been able to "that I know of" witness my faith to many "unreachable" people, because I lead with my heart, instead of my "religion".

2 I see many people who even proclaim to be burning with passion for Christ, to be lukewarm at best when it comes to the greater works of self sacrifice. It is an area that I feel called to, that is to show Christians another side to their faith, one that is compassionate and kind, basically the polar opposite of the "protestant work ethic" which is a philosophy alive and well in our churches. So in speaking on seemingly political issues to Christians, my goal is to bring them outside of their bubble and look at the world from a different standpoint.

What is troubling to me, is I know several people that I am the most liberal person they know, and as many of my truly liberal friends know, I am at best a moderate.

I know that many people do not believe that anything for the gospel can be done through secular groups and means, but if it is an issue I believe in being active for, I will support it, if possible through a faith based org, but that is rarely the case. Also through my working with people who have a heart for the poor, or stopping genocide around the world, my group of people is untouchable by most who call themselves the body of Christ.

So really what is the end of all of this? I am pondering starting faith based political orgs. Starting petitions and hopefully reaching people to get involved with the softer side of activism, who want nothing to do with the world. Maybe I could get petitions started by faith based groups and have an even larger impact.

After all, who should be the most outraged by the Darfur genocide of Christian ethnic Africans, but Arab Muslims?

Shouldn't it be the body of Christ?

Why is it Atheists?


Edit: my sister did point out that hardly anyone, Christian or Atheist is truly caring for those in need.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home